Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I SAW HARRY POTTER

It was entirely in Chinese.

BUT I SAW IT.

Midnight showings here, unfortunately, are not a big affair (at least not for Harry Potter), but it was fun wandering the streets of Harbin while we waited for the movie to start. It was also fun/kind of head-hurting to hear all the Harry Potter vocabulary in Chinese. One of our Chinese friends told us the name of one spell that pretty literally translates to "put a frog in your shoe." My particular favorite was "Maerfo" - Malfoy - who was looking unexpectedly very handsome in this latest installment, having thought he always looked kind of awkward before. I also enjoyed how McGonagall kept calling Harry "Pot", making the "e" in the Chinese-ified "Potter" very silent. Oh, oh, and you know how Madame Maxime always calls Dumbledore "Dumblydore"? That IS his Chinese name. Ahaha.

Anyway. Homework time. I can't wait to see it again/in English.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! That's great for your Chinese though I bet! I saw it last night at the midnight showing here. Can't believe we're almost done with the series!

    Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete