Friday, July 3, 2009

Reason # 6.022 x 10^23...

...why I love my host mom (okaasan).There was an open house today where our host families came and sat in for the last hour of class and had a chance to see us all fail spectacularly at Japanese. Anyway, today after dinner we went to "31" (more commonly known as Baskin Robbins in the USA) for ice cream and the following conversation took place:

Okaasan: ターインの友達。。。あのう、右隣の男の人。。。インド人ですねえ?いつもカレーライスを食べている?
Me: ....

Or, in English:

My amazing host-mom: Your friend, that is, the boy who sat on your right side...he's Indian, right? Is he always eating curry rice?
Me: ....

Somehow, I managed to mostly keep a straight face, although it was pretty hard. And...that's what she said. That's all folks. Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. That's great. And, mmm curry rice.

    I was recently prompted in class to finish the sentence "Obama may be black, but...". Oh Asia.

    ReplyDelete