Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Creeper Fail

So, I have much practice being a creeper. My friend Claire from high school knows this, because we usually creep together.


But in trying to commemorate the interesting qualities of Chinese wangba, or internet bars, I sort of didn't turn off the front display of my phone whilst taking a picture of the shirtless smoking dude across from me.


I wondered why he was staring at me, so I actually started typing as if I was texting instead of just holding the phone in a texting position. Oops.


Anyway, that picture was for you, and when I get internet set up in my room (hopefully tomorrow!) I'll pass it along


We got to Harbin on Saturday morning, started our language pledge on Sunday, and started class yesterday. Only speaking Chinese makes me a much less interesting person, and my classes so far are enough to keep me very busy. But! I really, really like Harbin. The weather is wonderful, the skies much clearer than Beijing, and people here are nice in general. The area around the Harbin Institute of Technology, or Hagongda, where we're staying and studying, is full of interesting things to explore. And food here is so, so cheap. I love food. I am happy.


For China people: gfxtalk.net is the proxy I've been using to access Blogger, and even from wangba, it works great.


Also for China people: what vocab do you use to explain the YPMB?

3 comments:

  1. I fail so hard on this front.

    "I'm in the band...but I don't play anything. And we're not a normal band. I paint....nevermind."

    Add some frantic gesturing, and that's about it. You should note that I've yet to successfully convey my meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to play instruments is to "chui (1) yue (4) qi (4)". if that helps any. And I think a flute is like a "di (2) zi", but that may just apply to the dinky wooden kinds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rosa!

    I went to an internet bar and found: jun (1) yue (4) dui (1), or ε†›δΉι˜Ÿ, Tory. I tried explaining to my roommate that we go to sports, but I didn't really know the word for sports. She said la la dui is what a cheerleading squad is called?

    ReplyDelete